The Most Common Methods of Birth Control for Men
Most men consider care to prevent pregnancy feminine duty. And yet, to take active part in the defense of their partners from unintended pregnancy, men can and should. Here are some examples of all currently existing methods of male contraception. Let’s consider the most common and used methods of methods of birth control for men and check their efficacy profile.
The most popular ways of birth control for men:
- Coitus interruptus (pull out method, rejected sexual intercourse) is one of the most unreliable methods of birth control for men. It is believed that the effectiveness of the method is less than 70%, almost every third act can be dangerous because a small amount of sperm can be released at the beginning of sexual intercourse. Furthermore, such a “protection” may cause sexual dysfunction in both partners.
- does not require the use of tablets or other means;
- not harmful to a body.
- Artificially prolonged sexual act – also relates to methods unreliable. Of course, it prolongs the time of sexual pleasure partners and usually does not lead to ejaculation, but can not guarantee security, since the sperm released not only during orgasm, but together with a lubricant. Additionally, if this method is used frequently, it may cause impotence and health problems in men (elevated blood pressure and headache).
- Condom is one of the best methods of birth control for men. Modern technology offers high-strength and ultra-thin latex condoms are of different lengths, colors and flavors. However, the condom may burst, and its use requires a certain skill.
Use a condom if you don’t have any barrier methods of birth control for men. Approximately 56% of men prefer it to condoms. This is the most popular and effective means of contraception for men. Today’s products are made from latex – tight sperm substance.
Advantages of the method:
- highest efficiency (85-97%);
- protects against HIV and other sexually transmitted infections;
- ease of use and wide availability on the market.
- Preparations containing “androgens and anti-androgens” (large doses of testosterone) that cause azoospermia (sperm disappears) and temporary infertility. Abuse of these drugs can be fraught for men development of neoplastic processes in the testes.
With proper reception, efficiency of this method of birth control for men is 100%. Current drugs include hormones dose 100 times smaller than the first hormonal drugs.
The drug for birth control for men is extremely easy to use: one tablet provides the necessary dose of levonorgestrel, enough to prevent pregnancy and moderately low in order to prevent unintended pregnancy for women the gentlest way. The pills are safe for the female body, which is confirmed by numerous clinical studies worldwide.
- Subcutaneous implant for men. This method of birth control for men involve ampoules containing “androgens” surgeon implanted under the skin, where the resolve within 2-4 weeks. During orgasm there is thrown a small amount of “neutralized” sperm. The effect lasts for keeps for 3-5 months. Sometimes there are not very pleasant side effects (headaches, cramps genitals, etc). To continue development of improved injectable drugs use 1 shot in the arm, annually or monthly.
The only advantage of the implant is that there is no need to take other preparations or use other methods of birth control for men.
- Cyproterone acetate is the drug birth control for men and only for men. Constant use of this drug leads to a temporary sterilization and reduce the number of sperm. After discontinuation of the pill, the volume of sperm recovered, but it is not clear how long the man will be able to fertilize.
- Contraceptive tablets containing “estrogen and androgen” cause an increase in sexual desire and at the same time reduce the quality of sperm. You can consume within 1 month, and then for 3-4 months to take a break. For too long use of the drug side effects may occur: mental disorders, decreased tone and zest for life.
- Vasosection (spermectomy) is ligation of the spermatic cord, which, if desired, you can unleash. This is the ideal method of birth control for men and for the treatment of impotence, prevention of inflammatory changes after removal of prostate tumors.
- Effectiveness of the method, more than 99%;
- Not difficult lovemaking does not reduce sexual sensation;
- The method is reliable and is permanent. The operation is performed one time;
- The operation is simple, the mass (in the United States operated by half a million men annually);
- There is no effect on libido, erection and orgasm (since testicles continue to produce testosterone). Hormones are also maintained;
- It does not decrease the amount of sperm (as sperm occupy only about 1% of the volume of semen).
- Vasectomy is the most highly effective method of birth control for men. This operation consists in cutting the vas deferens, in which the semen comes from both testicles. About a month after her man becomes absolutely fruitless. Previously, the main drawback of vasectomy was that the man was deprived of the possibility to conceive a child for a lifetime. At present a “reverse vasectomy” when crossed the vas deferens back stapled, and the man again becomes capable of fertilization. The ability to conceive a child is recovered in 90% of cases.
This surgical operation for 30 minutes, during which intersect semen flows. It does not affect the potency and libido of men. 2-3 months after the sterilization requirement for other contraceptive disappears completely. Efficiency of this method of birth control for men is up to 99%.
- high reliability;
- surgery is done only once.
- There is also a still little known method of birth control for men called as male intrauterine device (IUD). It looks like a miniature umbrella, is inserted through the head of the penis in the scrotum. At the end of the spiral is a gel having a spermicidal effect.
- very effective at preventing pregnancy;
- allows fertility to return immediately upon removal;
- do not interfere with sexual intercourse;
- a long-term option;
- relatively inexpensive.