Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) is a name of pharmacological group of drugs used to treat depression and anxiety disorders.
SSRI group includes 10 different drugs; the most popular among them are Citalopram, Escitalopram, Fluoxetine, Fluvoxamine, Paroxetine, Sertraline, Vilazodone. All these drugs are approved by the FDA and sold in the USA.
Despite the fact that all these drugs are included in the same pharmacological group, there are many differences between them. Information on the key similarities and differences of various SSRIs can be found in this review.
SSRI list: indications
Almost all SSRIs mentioned above can be used to treat major depressive disorder (MDD). The only SSRI, which is not prescribed to patients with MDD, is Fluvoxamine.
Fluvoxamine Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors is approved by the FDA only as a treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Besides Fluvoxamine, Sertraline, Paroxetine and Fluoxetine antidepressants can be used to treat OCD.
Unlike Fluvoxamine, which is effective only in the treatment of OCD, Fluoxetine, Paroxetine and Sertraline SSRIs can be prescribed both for the treatment of OCD and for panic disorder.
The list of indications for the use of Fluoxetine, Sertraline and Paroxetine SSRIs is similar, but each of these antidepressants has a unique difference.
- Sertraline is the only SSRI drug approved by the FDA as a treatment of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).
- Paroxetine is the only FDA-approved SSRI, which is effective in the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Fluoxetine is the only SSRI antidepressant, which is approved as a treatment of bulimia nervosa.
One more unique SSRI is Escitalopram. The list of indications for the use of this antidepressant includes generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). There is no this disease in the list of indications for the use of other SSRIs.
Moreover, it should be noted that the FDA approved only Sertraline and Paroxetine SSRIs for the treatment of social anxiety disorder (SAD). No other Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors available at the US market is used for SAD treatment.
SSRI list for children
To treat depressive diseases in children, only three SSRIs can be used.
- Sertraline can be prescribed to children aged 6 years and older
- Fluoxetine can be prescribed to children aged 7 years and older
- Escitalopram can be prescribed to children aged 12 years and older
Other FDA-approved antidepressants of SSRI list (including Paroxetine, Vilazodone, Citalopram, and Fluvoxamine) are not prescribed to children and adolescents.
SSRI list for breastfeeding moms
All drugs included in SSRI list can pass into breast milk and penetrate into the child’s body during breastfeeding.
SSRI can cause serious side effects in a baby affecting physiological systems and organs.
Therefore, SSRIs should be prescribed only in the cases if their benefits for the health of nursing mother exceed potential risks for the baby.
SSRI list of antidepressants promoting weight loss
Many SSRIs can both increase and decrease body weight. These SSRIs are Citalopram, Fluvoxamine, Paroxetine, Escitalopram and Sertraline. The only SSRI, which most often reduces than increases weight is Fluoxetine.
The results of clinical trials demonstrate that a new antidepressant Vilazodone (included in the list of FDA-approved SSRIs in 2011) does not change body weight.
However, data of post-marketing studies of Vilazodone is not sufficient for unambiguous statement that the risk of reduction or increase of body weight is completely absent after starting to use Vilazodone.
SSRI list: side effects
Each antidepressant of SSRIs list may cause several tens of side effects. The most common side effects of:
- Vilazodone are insomnia, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea.
- Sertraline are nausea, fatigue, somnolence, insomnia, tremor.
- Paroxetine are sexual dysfunction, nausea, impaired concentration.
- Fluvoxamine are dyspepsia, nausea, vomiting, insomnia, somnolence, tremor, asthenia, anorexia, nervousness, sweating, abnormal ejaculation.
- Fluoxetine are headache, asthenia, fatigue, tremor, diarrhoea, somnolence, nausea, nervousness, anxiety, insomnia, dizziness.
- Escitalopram are nausea, increased sweating, somnolence, fatigue, insomnia, decreased libido, ejaculation disorder (including ejaculatory delay), anorgasmia.
- Citalopram are sweating, weakness, dizziness, dry mouth, headache, nausea, tremor, drowsiness, insomnia.
SSRI list of brand names in various countries
Antidepressants of SSRI group can be sold both under the International Nonproprietary Names and under the original brands. In various countries of the world, SSRIs are registered under different brands.
- SSRI list in the USA – Brisdelle, Celexa, Lexapro, Luvox, Paxil, Pexeva, Prozac, Sarafem, Selfemra, Symbyax, Viibryd, Zoloft.
- SSRI list in Canada – Celexa, Cipralex, CTP 30, Luvox, Paxil, Prozac, Ran-Citalo, Reconcile, Riva-Fluvox, Zoloft.
- SSRI list in NZ – Abbapram, Aropax, Celapram, Cipralex, Cipramil, Citpram, Flexetor, Fluohexal, Fluox, Inosert, Lexapro, Lovan, Loxalate, Loxamine, Luvox, Luxotine, Plinzene, Prozac, Setrona, Zoloft.
- SSRI list in Australia – Abbapram, Aropax, Auscap Aspen, Celapram, Celica, Cilopam, Ciram, Citalobell, Citlam-S, Eleva, Escicor, Escilex, Escilupin, Escipro, Escital, Escitalaccord, Escitalup, Escitalupin, Esipram, Esitalo, Extine, Faverin, Foxine, Lexam, Lexapro, Lovan, Loxalate, Luvox, Movox, Paxtine, Pharmacor Citalo, Prozac, Roxet, Roxtine, Selasmin, Sertra, Sertracor, Setrona, Talam, Voxam, Xydep, Zactin, Zoloft, Zoltra.
- SSRI list in the UK – Anisdis, Aremis, Besitran, Calston, Cipralex, Cipramil, Distesap, Entact, Esertia, Faverin, Lustral, Olena, Oxactin, Paxoran, Prozac, Prozep, Prozit, Relefact, Seropram, Seroxat, Tatig.
If you want to buy antidepressant from SSRI list at low price, you can order it online in anywhere in the world. Before buying SSRI online, you can consult a pharmacist of online pharmacy and ask him all your questions.