Antibiotics have a special place among numerous pets meds, used in veterinary. Pets meds with antibacterial properties can stop the growth of pathogenic bacteria, causing their death and thereby stop further spread of infection.
There are dozens of different pets meds with antibacterial effect. Therefore spectrum of antibacterial activity and clinical use of pets meds is practically unlimited. The first pets meds that was used in clinical veterinary for bacterial infections treatment, were antibiotics of penicillin group.
Pets meds of penicillin group effect is to inhibit biosynthesis of gram-positive microorganisms. Efficiency of penicillins lies in that bacteria become resistant to antibacterial activity very slowly.
The first pets meds that were used for the treatment of infectious diseases in pets have had very small spectrum of antibacterial activity, causing allergic reactions very often. Along with development of practical veterinary, scientists have developed new antibiotics for animals. So nowadays, it is easy to find different pets meds of penicillin group with wide spectrum of antibacterial effect on the market.
Using modern pets meds allows to successfully treat pets, whose bacterial infectious diseases were caused by infections of the mucous membranes or soft tissues, gram-positive and (or) gram-negative microorganisms. Such pets meds as penicillin antibiotics, can be prescribed for pets to fight bacterial infections of:
* respiratory tract (tonsillitis, bronchitis, tracheitis, pharyngitis, pleurisy and pneumonia)
* gastrointestinal tract (endometritis, metritis, E.coli)
* urinary tract (cystitis, renal failure, bladder stones)
* skin and soft tissues (wounds, abscesses, fungal infections of hair, skin and nails)
In modern vet science, pets meds of penicillin group are divided into biosynthetic (natural) and semi-synthetic.
* Peculiarity of natural penicillins lies in that they have small spectrum of antibacterial activity, and thus these are prescribed for pets mostly to cure infectious diseases, caused by gram-positive bacteria and cocci.
* Semi-synthetic penicillins have wider spectrum of antibacterial activity. But their common difference from biosynthetic penicillins is that they are resistant to bacterial enzymes and acids, reducing the antibacterial efficacy of antibiotics.
To cure the bacterial infections in pets, veterinarians prescribe such pets meds as: Oxacillin, Cloxacillin, Dicloxacillin and Ampicillin. These pets meds with antibacterial effect are available under the following trademarks: Dicloxin, Dry-Clox, Boviclox, Orbenin, Dariclox, Omnipen, Hetacin, Polyflex, Princillin, Ampi-Tab, Hetacin and Aureomix.
The daily dosage of pets meds depends on pet’s body weight and severity of infection. In order to therapeutic dose of antibiotic could stay optimal during the whole treatment course, one should strictly comply with the dose regimen of the prescribed pets meds.
Failure to comply with the dosage or irregular use of pets meds may cause antibacterial resistance, resulting in decreased efficacy of the treatment. In case of resistance to the antibacterial pets meds, veterinarian should prescribe some other types of pets meds with antibacterial effect.
As an alternative to penicillin antibiotics, pets can be prescribed with the following pets meds:
- macrolides (Erythromycin, Gallimycin, Erythro);
- tetracyclines (Doxycycline, Doxirobe, Heska);
- lincomsamides (Clindamycin Antirobe, Virbac, Clintabs, ClindaRob);
- aminoglycosides (Neomycin, Neo-Cortef, Neomix, Neo-Delta-Cortef, Biosol, Panolog, Jenomycin)